inspiring communities to enjoy, manage and protect their wetlands for the present and future generations
“The Community Wetlands Forum is like a portal to experts in every aspect of wetlands wrapped in friendship in your fingertips.”
– Anne Lennon
Promoting the wise use of wetlands
A society where wetlands are valued by local communities and community engagement is valued as a means of protecting and managing wetlands for present and future generations
To support the protection, management and wise use of Ireland’s wetlands for sustainable communities, by providing a network for community wetland groups to share knowledge, ideas, research, and best practice
Why Join the Community Wetlands Forum?
The main aim of the Community Wetlands Forum (CWF) is to provide a representative platform for community-led wetland conservation groups based on the principles of community development (empowerment; participation; inclusion; self-determination; and partnership).
The diverse and growing membership of the CWF includes community groups and initiatives at various stages of wetland promotion and protection, from groups with fledgling ideas on how to protect their local wetland, to other groups who actively manage and protect sites of high biodiversity and recreational value.
By joining the Community Wetlands Forum you are joining a network of groups and individuals working to promote and protect wetlands and peatlands as important places of biodiversity and conservation, as well as community integration, well-being and ownership.
As Anne Lennon from the Friends of Ardee Bog put it – “The Community Wetlands Forum is like a portal to experts in every aspect of wetlands wrapped in friendship in your fingertips.” Since its foundation, the Community Wetlands Forum has developed strong links between communities, scientific experts, Government Departments, Local Authorities, State agencies, universities and NGOs.
Benefits of membership include:
- The opportunity to attend regular meetings, trainings and events where you will receive ideas, inspiration and support
- Access to information and support on funding and governance
- Access to the members Slack Channel where you will be able to access a wide range of resources and helpful information, and engage in conversations on particular topics with others in the Forum
- A real opportunity to shape the agenda of the forum
- Building new connections, knowledge and friendships with an active network across the country
- Membership of a growing network of community groups, scientific experts, Government Departments, Local Authorities, State agencies, universities and NGOs
“If not you, then who? If not now, when?”
Celebrate Biodiversity Week with the Community Wetlands Forum
Biodiversity week kicks off on 19th May and runs for over a week...
Special Needs Families Enjoy Kilteevan Peatlands
Shamrock Squad Adventures is a community of Special Needs Families...
Conserving Peatland Heritages
This month's blog post is by Kate Flood. Kate is a PhD candidate at...
Join the Conversation
Request to join our new Slack channel and have your say on various topics related to Community Wetlands Forum by filling in the form below